Tuesday 23 October 2018

Tuesday Takeover- Amelia’s story

I created this blog to celebrate everything we do as Orthoptists. As patients are the forefront of everything we do, why not let them have their say?

The blog will be dedicated to sharing patient stories in a ‘Tuesday Takeover’
This is Amelia’s story
This is why we do what we do ❤️
“My name is Amelia I am 7 years old. I first started wearing my glasses when I was 2 years old. My Mummy and Daddy noticed that my left eye started turning in just after my 2nd Birthday, they where very concerned they took me to the Orthoptic Department at Alder Hey who ran some tests, they discovered that my eyesight was not very good and I would need to wear glasses. I loved my glasses from the very first time I wore them. I could see the world so much more clearly! When I was 3 the Orthoptists gave me a patch to wear over my right eye to try and strengthen my left eye and improve the vision. I started off having to wear my patch for 8hrs a day then it gradually went down to 3 hrs. My vision in my eye did improve and has remained stable since stopping. My patching lasted over 12 months but I didn’t mind at all because it was helping me. My turn had always not been visible when wearing my glasses as my prescription helped straighten it. When I got to around 6 years old we noticed my eye was turning a lot more whilst wearing my glasses which had never happened before. I had my prescription changed a couple of times to see if this helped but it didn’t. I didn’t like my turn in my eye. I didn’t like looking in the mirror at myself it made me feel sad ☹️I had corrective surgery 3 weeks ago to straighten my eye. I was very nervous but really wanted to have it done. My operation was a success and the doctors at the hospital are really pleased with the results. The Orthoptist measured my turn and it has gone from been at an angle of 45 to now 8! I am so grateful to everyone at Alder Hey who has helped me. Thankyou.😘❤️”

What a wonderful profession to be a part of!

Do you have a patient story, or any success story you would like to share? Get in contact to be added as an author and let’s raise awareness of Orthoptics 👁
#myeyes
#myorthoptist
#iseethedifference






No comments:

Post a Comment