Thursday 10 October 2019

Patient story - functional squint surgery

Patient stories highlight the work orthoptists do and the positive impact we have on patients lives.

I developed a severe squint very suddenly due to stress on my eyes which was affecting my ability to complete everyday tasks and live my life comfortably.  I was monitored for two years and was givena Fresnel prism to assist my eyesight in the meantime. Eventually it was decided that I needed surgery as the squint worsened over time, even with the prism.  The care I was given over the two years was exceptional.  I was listened to and taken seriously throughout.  Strabismus surgery has changed my life.  For the first time in two years (and possibly longer) I am now able to adjust my focus from near to distance immediately.  I can read books with my glasses on again.  I can do my job of looking at paper information and data inputting without having to wear an eye patch.  I can see clearly again and my happiness has improved.  I could not be more grateful to the entire team of staff at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.  The care I received was exceptional, they empathised with me every step of the way and my eyesight has never been better.  A squint affects not only how you look but how you function.  Strabismus surgery is vitally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment