Thursday 25 April 2019

From Patient To Orthoptist - Read about Vienna-Jaye's ambassador role here


#HelloMyNameIs Vienna-Jaye and I am an Orthoptist in the Eye Department at Dorset County Hospital. I graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2017, I had previous personal experience of Orthoptics when I was much younger. I was seen by an Orthoptist pretty much from birth until the age of 6 years old. I’m lucky enough to currently work with one of the Orthoptists that treated me when I was a child! I have worn glasses since I was 18 months old and had patching treatment as well as squint surgery. 

 Orthoptics is a relatively small profession, I’ve found that people have usually only heard about it if they have been seen by an Orthoptist or they work in a hospital. Orthoptists are able to practice as soon as they have qualified due to the wide range of placements undertaken during study at university. Whilst studying at Sheffield I went on a total of 33 weeks of placements, from Leeds all the way down to Torquay in Devon!

Earlier this year I was honoured to be given the opportunity to curate the @NHS Twitter account. This is run by patients and NHS staff for a week with free reign to share messages and engage with the public. I used this opportunity to promote Orthoptics as a profession and increase people’s awareness of what we do. I used photos, videos and polls and had over 665,000 impressions in a week, in other words my posts were seen a lot!

Outside of social media I’ve been involved in other outreach events too. I volunteered at a national careers fair in November and spoke to hundreds of students, teachers and parents about Orthoptics. We were able to show people what some patients with Nystagmus or ‘wobbly eyes’ see everyday with a virtual reality app on a mobile phone. Orthoptists often see patients with Nystagmus regularly as we can monitor, manage their condition and provide advice and support.

Closer to home I’ve been invited to speak at several local schools about Orthoptics and my journey into the profession. I’ve spoken at my old secondary school and local primary schools. I’ve even been on television promoting Orthoptics! Most recently, I was at a launch event for ‘Inspiring Dorset’, this allowed lots of people from a variety of professions to speak to year 4 and 5 children at a local school about our jobs. We were able to make children aware of jobs they’d never heard of and start to break down their stereotypes about who can do certain jobs. If you are an Orthoptist and keen to talk to local school children about your job, sign up to www.inspiringthefuture.org and you could be invited to these events too!

In my day job I’ve taken on the role of Work Experience lead for Orthoptics, this means that I am responsible for organising shadow days for any students (aged 16+) from schools interested in finding out if Orthoptics could be for them. Contact your local Orthoptic department if you want to find out more.

I really enjoy spreading the message about Orthoptics and encouraging people to find out more about what we do. If you want to find out more, have a look at www.orthoptics.org.uk or search #ISeeTheDifference on Twitter. 
Vienna-Jaye Burchell

New Graduate Rep, EPDC for BIOS

Orthoptist, Dorset County Hospital



No comments:

Post a Comment